YALC + STACKING THE SHELVES(6)!









Hey everyone! Today I'm doing something a little different, I'm gonna combine Stacking the Shelves and my post about YALC which I finally finally decided to write after about two and half weeks of pure laziness :3 Anyways I have loads of awesome books to show you guys :) Let me know if you've read any of these!!!












Planning the way from Greenwich to Kensington was absolutely exhausting so I ended up having to do a one and a half hour long journey to and back from YALC using public transportation :3 But I caved and got taxi to get back to Greenwich because lugging 25+ books on public transport in London in tote bags is not ideal...

I arrived super early and I was literally buzzing with excitement though I was pretty terrified of speaking to anyone because the people who were speaking were already friends and the ones who were tweeting about saying hi were everywhere in the queue so it was pretty intimidating! But we got a cool wristband :P

    





But once I got INSIDE I WAS ABSOLUTELY AWED! People were already running around grabbing free books and as from that point anyone buying books would literally strike a conversation with you and it would be like an instant connection! There was so much to see and so many books to buy and so much swag, samplers and proofs that I literally didn't know what to do with myself anymore! I ended spending all my cash within the first hour of YALC and decided that I'd go wallow in guilt in the cafeteria... That's when I met the lovely Lyndsey! I remembered her from twitter and I plucked up the courage to go and say hi and I'm so grateful I did because she ended up being my YALC buddy for both Friday and Saturday! She's a new blogger so go and check out her beautiful blog here. It was super cool to experience YALC with someone, it made it all the more enjoyable! 











The first panel I attended was an author collaboration panel chaired by Melinda Salisbury who was absolutely hilarious! In fact all the others on the panel were so cool and humorous you just couldn't help but getting invested in what they were saying! 

At the end of the day I managed to find £20 in my pocket so I ran to get the Shadowhunter's illustrated guide for my Cassie Clare collection :P




I was a little scared to head to the quiz cause I'd never been off in London on my own but I managed to tag along with some lovely people who were also heading there! In the beginning it was a little awkward for me cause I had no idea what was happening or what we were supposed to do but once the actual quiz started, it was loads of fun!!! Surprisingly though the questions were not really about YA books, we even had questions on the London Underground system which I knew NOTHING about! It was still loads of fun though :P



                        












I was more prepared! I was in the first 50 of the queue and surprisingly right behind the same people I was behind on the previous day ! We were prepared for it to be SUPER crowded because Laini Taylor, Victoria Schwab, Vic James and many popular others would be there.


The proofs where a whole other issue in itself! Tweets would randomly be going out and then suddenly you'd see this running mass of book crazed girls( me included) running towards stalls and pushing to get proofs! IT WAS SO MUCH FUN OMFG. I managed to snag the last Zenith proof in one of the proof giveaways!

I just have to recount one story, I was standing in front of the Gollancs stand waiting for them to start giving away the Last Namsara proofs because dam( PJO REF) I wanted to get my hands on that book! By then I'd figured out they were dropping proofs at every hour so at 1.55 I was already stalking there stand but instead of sending a tweet for the Last Namsara they sent one for A Pocketful Of Crows and I WAS STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM! so being the awkward human being that I am, just shoved the tweet on my phone at them and I was like "uh hello!" (no idea why I said that!) AND I GOT THE PROOF! And two seconds later people started running to the stand BUT THEY WERE TOO LATE :D!!!! And then at 2.55 i went back to the stand because I just knew they were gonna do their hourly proof drop-they did not disappoint! Except this time-PLOT TWIST! They were giving away only two proofs in a random draw among the first 5 people that reached their stand! It was pretty creative we had to dig in a pile of shredded paper for dragon eggs and when we popped them open we got golden chocolate eggs and a tiny strip of paper saying what we got and IT WAS AMAZING CAUSE BOTH LYNDSEY AND I GOT THE PROOFS!!! YAS YAS YAS!



As if my luck couldn't get any better, I even won a book at FairyLoot! You turn the wheel and get prizes kinda thing! This is my little Fairyloot collection! They had a lot of free swag and stuff which I also got but I don't remember which is which that's why they aren't in the pic...but these are my wins :P 








All the authors were so so nice! They stayed well beyond their signing times to make sure that everyone got their books signed and I didn't really mind waiting in line because not only did we meet really cool people while waiting but we also knew that the authors weren't just signing a book one after the other, they took the time to have a little chat with each person and it made it all worth it! 

Laini Taylor!!!! Omigosh I still can't believe I actually exchanged words with her!!! I met some awesome people in that queue! I told her that her writing was otherworldly and she SAID THANK YOU. TO ME. *DIES*.







.

I was super super looking forward to this and it did not disappoint! I met some great bloggers and it was a little hectic but definitely fun! When we started taking pics it was super awkward cause people were staring at us but oh well it was worth it :P














Now the part that is both my pride-because I have no shame and NO REGRETS!

MY PROOF HAUL!!!  (The first book without a title with bird legs is called The Sacrifice Box by Martin Steward and the black book with the golden crow is A Pocketful Of Crows by Joanne M. Harris! 




I'm particularly excited about the last Namsara, A pocketful of crows and There's Someone Inside Your House by STEPHANIE PERKINS! 

And this is the back view in case some of you wanna try and read the synopsis lol :P 




These were the books I bought at YALC: I did already have an ARC of flame in the mist but I really really wanted that gorgeous hardcover! I bought the Bone Season to get it signed but the queue was HUGE and I had to cross it off my plan cause I wouldn't have been able to do other stuff. I actually saw Karen M. McManus' panel where she talked about her book and I just knew I had to read this breakfast club inspired murder and I went straight to the Waterstones stand to get it(it was already signed!). I met the lovely Elizabeth May, Sue Bentley, Jaqueline Sylvester and Cathering and Elizabeth Corr who signed the books!




                                                                    
                         


                 



A few months ago I read and LOVED the Dark Days Club and I bought book 2 to get signed! It was actually pretty funny cause we knew Alison Goodman's queue was gonna be HUGE and that we'd have to go super early but it was so lucky cause we saw her coming into YALC! Lyndsey and I practically jumped on her, she still had her bag on her shoulder and we made her sign our books and take pics with us!! Looking back she must have been kinda freaked to be assaulted by two crazy fans shoving books in her face (we're really sorry!) but she was so cool about it and signed and took pics with us!


     




These are the books I bought from home to get signed! I'd also hoped to get Geek girl and A Darker Shade of Magic signed but I really couldn't find time to get into the queues and my ticket for V.E Schwab was number 241...by the time I had to go and queue up, the Teen Book Bloggers meet up had started  :( 




  


         


  

Carry On Simon was something that I knew I had to had to had to buy after reading Fangirl but I could never find it in the stores so when I bought a mystery wrapped book I was ecstatic to find out that it was this book!



As I mentioned earlier at the quiz, one of our leaders said we could come and get a free book the next day so I chose Nemesis!!!



And it has pretty red edges !


SWAG TIME!!!

Bookmarks!




Samplers!!



Tote bags!!!





Posters!





Badges and stuff!




The pendrive has awesome samplers and book trailers!

And finally postcards!





WHEW THAT'S IT.



MY ADVICE:
RUN RUN RUN FOR PRROFS TURN ON ALL NOTIFICATIONS ON TWITTER AND RUN.

GET READY TO MEET LOADS OF PEOPLE, IT'S OK TO BE NERVOUS.

GET READY FOR THE QUEUES.

DITCH FASHION FOR COMFORT

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CARRY SUITCASES

I unfortunately couldn't make it to day 3 because of transport problems :/ BUT LESSON LEARNED NEXT YEAR I'M BOOKING A HOTEL. 



Yes Benedict Cumberbatch folks walked into YALC a couple of times!!!! AND HE WAS LESS THAN A FOOT AWAY FROM ME!!! I think he even brushed against Lyndsey's arm!!! There we were casually strolling past book stands when we heard people gasping and I smelt a strong perfume and when we looked up BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH was less than a foot away from us just walking by with security. omg. I almost died. I was in absolute shock!!! I didn't even have time to get my phone out because I only realised he was here when he was right next to me and then within a second he'd already walked away!

And apparently Natalie Dormer walked past but I didn't see her :/
The funniest past was Benedict walking in on Non Pratt when she was shaving her head!!! Can you just imagine???

I think he secretly likes YA books! Maybe he was a Twihard!? *gasps*.

That's it for the YALC part guys!


And some more pictures of the event and the people who made it absolutely memorable!





























NOW FOR STACKING THE SHELVES! 


I got approved for some AWESOME ARCs on Netgalley which I've been dying to read! You can click on the covers to go to the Goodreads page :P

I've heard nothing but amazing things about Nyxia and the cover is really gorgeous!

Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)








Emmett Atwater isn't just leaving Detroit; he's leaving Earth. Why the Babel Corporation recruited him is a mystery, but the number of zeroes on their contract has him boarding their lightship and hoping to return to Earth with enough money to take care of his family.

Forever.

Before long, Emmett discovers that he is one of ten recruits, all of whom have troubled pasts and are a long way from home. Now each recruit must earn the right to travel down to the planet of Eden--a planet that Babel has kept hidden--where they will mine a substance called Nyxia that has quietly become the most valuable material in the universe.

But Babel's ship is full of secrets. And Emmett will face the ultimate choice: win the fortune at any cost, or find a way to fight that won't forever compromise what it means to be human.
I missed this proof drop at YALC but I was so excited when I got approved for this baby!

Invictus




Time flies when you're plundering history.
Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The son of a time-traveling Recorder from 2354 AD and a gladiator living in Rome in 95 AD, Far's birth defies the laws of nature. Exploring history himself is all he's ever wanted, and after failing his final time-traveling exam, Far takes a position commanding a ship with a crew of his friends as part of a black market operation to steal valuables from the past.

But during a heist on the sinking Titanic, Far meets a mysterious girl who always seems to be one step ahead of him. Armed with knowledge that will bring Far's very existence into question, she will lead Far and his team on a race through time to discover a frightening truth: History is not as steady as it seems.
In this heart-stopping adventure, Ryan Graudin has created a fast-paced world that defies time and space.


I got swag for this at YALC! They actually had ARC's but they weren't giving the away :3



Otherworld (Otherworld, #1)











The company says Otherworld is amazing—like nothing you’ve ever seen before. They say it’s addictive—that you’ll want to stay forever. They promise Otherworld will make all your dreams come true.
Simon thought Otherworld was a game. Turns out he knew nothing. Otherworld is the next phase of reality. It’s everything you’ve ever wanted.
And it’s about to change humanity forever.
Welcome to the Otherworld. No one could have seen it coming.




I read book 1 of this series a few weeks ago and loved it! my review is here and I can't wait to get to this one!


Shadow Rise (Shadow Fall #2)







Terrorist. Rebel. Traitor.
One rash decision during the Shadow Trials led to unspeakable horrors that left innocents dead, friends injured and hunted by the Empire, and Maia Graystone imprisoned in the Tower at the Archduchess’s mercy.
Unsure if Riser Thornbrook survived, Maia must find a way to battle the Empire from within its own walls and escape so she can fulfill the promise to her father and stop the asteroid. But when she breaks free and joins Nicolai's Rebel army, she discovers she’s been branded a traitor. With war between the Rebels and the Empire looming, old alliances shifting, and suspicion hanging over her head, she must fight in the Rebel Blood Courts—and win command—to regain their trust.

Only problem is, first she has defeat the reigning champion, someone she knows all too well. Will Maia’s emotions lead to her defeat, or will she rise up and claim her victory?



And of course books I bought for myself this week :




I CAVED and brought the limited Waterstones if Lord of Shadows even though I already have a copy and I haven't read it yet! It's just so many people are apparently devastated after LoS it'll probably be my favourite emotional wrecking book so I just had to buy another copy in case I mistreat the other one (NO SPOILERS BELOW PLEASE!).



I'm finally getting started on A Darker Shade of Magic and I know I'm super late on this series but so far it's great!


That's it for me! Hope everyone had a great week :P  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks a million for taking the time to post a comment :)